Friday, May 13, 2011

What it feels like to have never been asked to prom.

I have never been asked to a dance.  Ever.  The only dances I did go to in high school were attended with either girl friends or a boy that I asked to go with me.  And I'm 24 now so it's really not a big deal.  Yes, it bothered me some when I was younger, especially my senior year, but I'm pretty much over it now...I think.

Prom season is a shame regardless of my history with it.  If you have never not been asked (did you follow that double negative?) then let me give you a little idea of what it feels like:

One day you wake up and a commercial on MTV is all about a new movie coming out; titled Prom.  You go to school and your friend is ecstatic that she just got asked to prom...my the star football player...and your happy for her...sorta.  You wake up a week later and five more of your friends have dates, everyone has started making plans to share a limo, and the restaurant has been decided on.  A week later, you wake up and find out the guy you were hoping was going to ask you, just asked someone else. 

Suddenly you wake up and its the day of Prom.  You don't have a date.  You go to school where everyone is talking about how much fun the night will be, all the after parties that could happen, and who is going to be with who.  You realize that holding out hope that someone (ANYONE) will ask you is just stupid.  You go home.  You sit at home.  You cry.  You realize that not one single boy in the entire school wanted to spend the night with you.  You are not disappointed, or sad, or mad, or even angry.  You feel ugly.

Monday morning comes and you hear all about the drama of the night.  You pretend to be interested but secretly you could care less.

Every year that goes by you think back to that night, when you sat at home, alone, watching MTV and eating popcorn.  You wonder if it will ever be easier to think about Prom and not feel ugly...but so far it isn't.

I haven't given up hope that I'll someday be 'over' Prom completely.  Until then, I stand firmly in my accusation that it is a huge waste of time, money, and young girls' hearts.

No comments:

Post a Comment