Working more than one job is hard. Even your days off aren't quite as relaxing because you are trying to fit so many things into that little time you have. Also, I tend to get confused about where I'm at and have been known to answer the phone at one job by giving the name of my other job!
Actually, except for 3 short months, I have always had two jobs, since I was 17. So working doesn't bother me and I will unwillingly confess that sometimes on my weekends off I get bored and think to myself, "I might as well be making money!"
I told my part-time employer that I would be finished by the end of the summer as I will be starting Grad School this fall and will continue to work full-time at my other job. Now I want out as fast as humanely possible. The thought of 10 more weekend shifts seems like a lifetime and I'm struggling to care. I am sad to admit this. I have always loved my second job. It has been a great opportunity for me to grow and learn from hands-on experience working with families.
But now I feel more than ever that I want to enjoy my last summer before Grad School, spend as much time as possible with friends and family, and savor these last moments of youthful bliss. Am I being selfish? I feel like I do owe it to the program to stick it out until the end of summer, when I indicated I would be leaving. I feel I owe it to my coworkers to stick around and not create the need to train a new staff member at a time of rapid change in our program.
I'm itching to be outta here....and I can't quite scratch it yet.
What's worse? My director offered me an out. He called me up a few weeks ago and said, "Hey, I know you weren't planning on leaving until the end of fall, but do you want to be done sooner?" And I said NO! I said no because I wanted the extra income through summer and at that time I was still in work-mode.
Just writing it makes it so much more clear to me that I need to start THINKING before SAYING. I've put it on my to-do list.
No comments:
Post a Comment