I don't know about anyone else, but I regret a lot of things in my past. I know, I know, I wouldn't be where I was today had those things not happened, blah blah blah. But that really doesn't make me feel any better about all those stupid things I've done.
This past weekend I had a great conversation with S about past regrets. We talked about how I have a hard time letting go of things and dwell on them until I feel worse than when the event actually happened and how he is able to forget those little things. It seems like such a foreign concept: to let go of all those times I know I made a giant ass of myself.
I do know one thing though...I have learned a lot from all those times I wished I was invisible. For instance, I will never ever attempt to be friends with someone I once dated. Acquaintances, yes. Friends, no. It just doesn't work for me. And while some people see this as an obvious way-of-life, I did not.
I also think that the word embarrassment should be thrown in here somewhere. I certainly regret plenty of past experiences, but embarrassment is something I feel on a daily basis. And not just for things that happen on that day. I feel embarrassment and my face gets red for things that happened years ago.
I envy those who are able to move beyond the past and not dwell. And I know that it will take a lot of practice and patience to someday not hold my feet to the fire every time I make a bad decision. But I do have hope that I'll be there someday. That someday just won't be today.
No comments:
Post a Comment