Thursday, April 21, 2011

Making a difference

The concept of 'making a difference' in the world has been on my mind a lot lately.  I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that I am preparing to start grad school this fall and all I can think about is: what's next?

At lunch today a coworker of mine was telling us about a woman who used to work here but now works in St. Paul and has developed and implemented some outstanding victim programs.  My coworker spoke so highly of this woman (who she guesstimated to only be 34 years old) and it made me long to be referenced in this way.  I want to do something great.  And I want people to talk about me with pride and respect.

It would be awesome to design a new program or implement changes into one of the many broken systems I work with on a daily basis.  But do I have the skills?  The knowledge?  The ability? 

In several ways I know that I absolutely do have everything it takes to be an amazing victim advocate, and eventually a social worker.  But I think it's only human to expect more of yourself.  The question is: Will I ever accept myself as great in my own eyes, or will I continue to expect more?

No comments:

Post a Comment